Monday, June 8, 2015

Sunday/Monday

Sunday morning (after a quiet breakfast of chocolate croissant and Americano in St Paul's churchyard), I joined the group for a sung Eucharist service at St. Paul's Cathedral. The service followed in the Anglican tradition, and it was very high church-- something I'm not used. However, it was fascinating. They handed out a twenty page program, detailing when to sit, stand, recite, and sing. Also, I'm not used to women as priests, something I actually really appreciated.

Communion was taken the traditional way, a wafer given by a priest, and then wine sipped from a communal cup (I know I was supposed to be thinking about Jesus, but all I could think was:

germs, germs!)

Unfortunately, photos weren't allowed inside the cathedral, but you should definitely check out their website for photos because it's simply marvelous inside. Huge, golden, magnificent.

Afterwards, we went on a walking tour of the city and caught quite a few historic sights.

samuel johnson's house (he wrote the dictionary here)

Christ church greyfriars

a piece of the original london wall built by the Romans
wall dedicated to those who gave their life in sacrificial service
Also note-worthy: St. Bartholomew's church and a monument dedicated to the fire of London.

Afterwards, we took a walk across the River Thames and headed to the Globe Theater for a performance of "Merchant of Venice." I stood on the ground floor for the first act, which lasted 1 hour and 45 minutes-- my legs were killing me, so second act was spent sitting in the third floor gallery. It was an incredible (3 hour!) show. Their portrayal of Shylock was fascinating and pitiable. Excellent directing, wonderful actors.

the cast takes their bows
Later, Namatha's dad treated Aseye, Sophie, and I to a few deserts at their hotel. I had a cracking bread pudding and headed back to the hostel full and happy.

Monday morning, honestly, was a bit rough: I woke up a bit groggy and cantankerous. It was an overcast day, and I was definitely feeling it. A few of us headed to Notes for a Flat White (something the US needs more of!) before popping into the National Portrait Gallery as well as the National Gallery (they're right next to each other) to do a bit of touring.

The National Portrait gallery was my favorite, but photography was mostly forbidden so you'll just have to take my word for it: it's pretty smashing. Portraits from the 1600's to now (David Beckham, Winston Churchill, Margaret Thatcher, Lilly Allen) all done in different styles (busts, oil, sketches, video, blood!). 

The National Gallery is pretty swell to, but we didn't stay there long.

hello, monet
gorgeous
The rest of the morning was spent getting a SIM card for my phone (thank god, now I can text and call in the UK without wifi -- who knew it was all so difficult?). We then "ate beautifully" at Itsu, a fast food sushi restaurant (the states also needs one of these!) before heading to Harrod's.

Harrod's is incredible. Four rooms of simply "luxury accessories," a perfumery, two rooms of chocolates and pasteries, any kind of food you could desire, three makeup rooms -- and that's just the first floor! I want to live there. It's as if everything good in the world just sort of melted into one (very expensive, very amazing) store.

butcher

cakes
Aseye and I split a salted caramel brownie and wondered around a bit more on Brompton Road (popped into Zara and Topshop -- yay UK styles!) before calling it a day and heading back to the hostel. People's phones and bodies needed charging before we see "As You Like It" at the Globe tonight.

Things I like about London:

1) The Tube/buses/public transportation
2) Harrod's/shopping in general here
3) Everyone has great European style
4) They're serious about their coffee (independent and chain cafes on every block)
5) So much history every where you look
6) The theatre
7) Such charming accents
8) Pub life (so social!)

Things I dislike:

1) Everything is extremely expensive
2) My phone has been going bonkers
3) Free wifi is hard to find
4) Did I mention that everything is expensive?
5) Small coffees (I'm such an American)
6) Paying for everything (water, sitting in restaurants, toilets)
7) Sometimes not being able to understand the accents and asking three times what someone said ("dumb Americans")

Alright, until next time, folks! Sorry I don't have very many photos -- my camera died and we only have one outlet-- phones and computers take priority here :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment