Sunday, June 14, 2015

sung eucharist at canterbury cathedral


After 10 hours of sleep, I woke up feeling a bit better-- thanks for the prayers, friends!

Sophie and I headed into town for some breakfast before joining the group for a sung Eucharist at Canterbury Cathedral.

I am having trouble with these Anglican churches. It is difficult for me to connect with such liturgical services. I was raised in more of a contemporary tradition, and the arrange services of high church strike me as false, sadly enough. The choir was beautiful, and I do enjoy the community invoked in the Eucharist. But even though the church is incredibly gorgeous and the singing lovely, I wasn’t able to connect with God there. I found the service almost as cold as the stone that enveloped it.
ceiling of the quire where i sat

Afterwards, Jeff, Sophie, and I headed to The Shakespeare, a traditional British pub. I had a full English breakfast which involves baked beans, sautéed mushrooms, toast, a fried egg, ham, sausage, and baked tomatoes. I’m not sure why those ingredients go together, but the Brits toss them up shamelessly.

We wondered around a bit afterwards, popping into several cute shops (Cath Kidston is absolutely adorable!). We headed into Burgate Coffee for a flat white, explored Poundland (a dollar store, more or less), and headed back home.
cute little cafe
 The afternoon has been incredibly chill. We watched the 1995 “Sabrina” which I very much enjoyed.

Homework this evening and we’re headed to Beer tomorrow for two weeks. I don’t think there’s wifi in the hostel, so I’m not sure when I’ll be posting again.

Cheers, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment