Thursday, May 21, 2015

sunshine & metaphysical poetry

Studying in the summer-time has its perks, I guess. One of them being open windows and sunshine.

I snapped this view of the BGC from the fourth floor of Blanchard. Not too bad of a study view, eh?
 
At the moment, I'm taking a break from writing about John Donne, a 17th century meta-physical poet. You might know him for his scandy-candy poem "The Flea." Apparently flea poems were all the rage back in the 1600's-- not a whole lot of hygiene going on, apparently. Check it out if you're feeling brave enough.

Link to Donne's poem "The Flea"

Turns out, Donne was also quite the looker. Half the class thought him rather attractive, though the other half was a bit turned off by the weaselly face, unkempt uni brow, and rather obnoxious peach fuzz gracing his upper lip.

What a charmer.

As one of my fellow peers put it, "I can see how he was a player." I'm a bit perturbed by the length of his fingers, though.

For Travel Writing, I've already written about a moore and a fen, both places I assume we'll see much more of in England. For reference, they're a bit like marshland.

Tonight, we'll be watching 84, Charing Cross Road. According to Wikipedia (the ever-present source of goodness and knowledge), "84, Charing Cross Road is a 1970 book by Helene Hanff, later made into a stage play, television play and film, about the twenty-year correspondence between Frank Doel, chief buyer of Marks & Co, antiquarian booksellers located at the eponymous address in London, England, and her."

Should be thrilling. Stay tuned.

As always, stay safe out there, kids. And thanks for reading my blog.

Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment