Tuesday, May 19, 2015

second blog post (aka titles are not my strong point)

Hello, friends!

So the Wheaton in England program (affectionately known as WIE) officially began yesterday evening. Thirty-five students gathered in the hallowed Blanchard hall-- some were eager and excited, others were filled with trepidation and dread. Still others sat quietly, observing the mass of babbling students with bemused expressions and wondering what they'd gotten themselves into. I'll admit, my reaction was a good mix of all three. 

Not much happened other than: pizza was eaten, ice was broken figuratively speaking (no, what is YOUR favorite animal noise?), and a WIE handbook was passed out.

One one hand, the handbook is, well, handy. It includes a trip itinerary, tidbits of history, plays to see, sights to take in, and deals to be had.

On another hand, there are at least six maps in the back of it that I can't make heads nor tails of. Also, I wanted to be the most England savvy of the group with my newly purchased and thoroughly studied Rick Steeves guide book (yes, I'm that kind of a person) and now, the other students will have almost as much foreknowledge as me. Which is fine, fine. I still know the better pubs. Thanks, Rick.

We're living in the on-campus apartments for two weeks, just chilling and taking classes. Things are relatively calm at the moment and the weather is a bit chilly for summer (50ish degrees? ugh). Still-- it's good to be back in Wheaton for the summer time. One forgets how nice it is when it's not covered in four feet of snow.

We had chapel today and read a Franz Wright poem that was rather cutting and relatable. Discussion was about visiting the chapels in England and how we might feel: outsiders and yet still able to recognize a good bit of the familiar in it.

Here's a link to it: http://www.typomag.com/issue02/000024.html
Read it if you get the chance. It's just dazzling and poignant and profound. Yum. 

I'll include a brief itinerary for the trip so you can know what to look forward to.

June 3rd: Fly to London
June 11th: Holmbury St. Mary
June 13th: Canterbury
June 16th: Beer
June 30th: Swadlincote
July 2nd: Cambridge
July 5th: York
July 9th: Haworth
July 10th: Ambleside
July 13th: Depart from Manchester

Fellow England travelers: any sights I simply must see at these destinations? Comment and let me know. Happy to receive advice/recommendations.

Cheers, friends!

2 comments:

  1. There is so much to see in London, I don't think I could give much insight based on my 4 days there. It was pretty much all glorious to this anglophile. Rick will guide you well. Drink it all up! And if you come across a Hummus Brothers or Snog (the UK's Yagööt only cheekier), go and eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also I'm jealous you'll be at Ambleside! We were in the west, but looks like you'll be east and north.

    ReplyDelete